20.1.11

I wish I was making this up:

It was an incident I would think I'd find in a sitcom, and I was the main character. I hardly fax anything, but I went to the main office to fax a referral the other day. The fax machine sits in a separate but attached little room of the main office, with windows and doors open to make the person who works there feel more like a part of the team. She wasn't there, so I helped myself to the fax machine. I inserted the paper, dialed 9 before the rest of the number just like all outside calls at this school, and waited. The answer was on speakerphone: in a soft woman's voice, I was requested to press 1 if I was older than 18, with a description of lewd acts I could listen to if I was of age. Frantically, I picked the phone off the receiver and tried to hang it back up to no avail; cancel didn't work, and neither did any other number I pressed on the fax machine (and I pressed most of them). It was one of those things that was funny afterward, but in the moment all I could think was, "I hope the principal does not walk in now." I ended up asking the secretary to help me fax it; turns out you don't dial 9 when using the fax machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment