12.3.14

Over and out

As of Thursday afternoon, I will be on maternity leave! I'm not due until the end of the month, but I had some comp time to either use or lose, and I'm choosing to use it. 

Things I will miss:
1. The students

Things I will not miss:
1. Everything else: parents, teachers, the politics of it all, commuting...

Even though my year is being cut short, it's been a doozy of a time that I've mostly been omitting on this blog. The restructuring of our nursing staff - adding on LVNs before figuring out how best to utilize everyone - has taken a toll on everyone. One of our nurses made a very serious error and went on paid administrative leave for three months pending an "investigation" into the matter while we all had to fill in for each other and step up our own game, only for her to return bragging about her 3 month paid vacation. Worse, she's now been rewarded with the lightest assignment of us all because she's proven her lack of integrity and can't be trusted around students. Let's just say this: there's a serious downside to unions sometimes. Frustration and lack of morale has reached an all time high, certainly in my time here, and the more veteran nurses that have been here 15+ years agree. 

In all the mess, it's easy to lose sight of why we're here: to take care of the kids. I'll miss Spitfire and many others, and have been totally amused by Spitfire's ability to make it clear to everyone how she feels about the situation. Kids are just kids, and it's a shame to have watched them become less of a priority to nurses and other staff alike. It's been a real challenge to keep this blog going this year simply because just trying to keep afloat in the drama of everything going on with our health staff has put the kids on the back-burner, unfortunately. 

But for now, it's my turn to focus on my own baby. I may or may not be back here; my world is about to change and I don't really know what to expect. Add me to Feedly or whatever blog subscriber you use if you'd like; but until later, in the words of the kids around here: SEE YA! 

5 comments:

  1. I'll miss you! God's blessings to you and your (about to increase!) family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy motherhood and your time off!! You NEED to come back -- for those students! I know they love you as much as we do :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You at least have to come back and tell us something about the baby! Oh and where you are headed too if not back to the schools :) I really do enjoy reading your blog and would seriously miss it -- you could always write as Mrs. NurseMommy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WordyGirl is spot on - we at least need to know you and the baby are doing well! I've read you regularly ever since you started, maybe I should have spoken up. But I do enjoy sharing your frustrations with you so please come back xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous19/3/14 10:18

    Best wishes to you and your family. I have very much enjoyed reading your blog and hearing that I'm not alone in all the craziness of being a school nurse. I've laughed at your stories and got sad at some of your stories because I've been in some of the same situations. Enjoy your time off savor every second with your baby. They grow too fast! Hope you return to blogging.

    ReplyDelete