28.11.12

Student of the Month

In Diabetic Land, when a student is chosen as "Student of the Month" in their class, they have a lunch BBQ with the principal - or so I'd been told. Somehow both of my diabetics were chosen as student of the month (emphasis on "somehow" given Spitfire's grades) this month, and today was the luncheon. Just to tease Spitfire, who is 9 going on 17, I told her I'd crash her luncheon to embarrass her. I did, and here's what I saw for lunch: a "double dog" (an internet search for an image proved futile; it's a prepackaged thing of two halves of a hot dog served side by side - don't ask how they heated them up), Goldfish brand cookies, chocolate milk, and carrots. This took place in a classroom with a few of the select students and principal, with an iPod docked onto tinny speakers playing Taylor Swift and the like breaking up and otherwise completely silent classroom while the kids munched. Granted, it's a cold and wet day, so there certainly wasn't going to be an actual BBQ, but still. The kids seem to think it's a treat to eat with the principal, it looked more like punishment to me, particularly with the awkward silence. Apparently 4th and 5th graders don't have much to say to the school principal.

No comments:

Post a Comment