9.9.13

Parents

Spitfire's blood sugar has been out of control so far this year. In the 300-400 range very often, and varying amounts of ketones. The other day her blood sugar dropped to 60 in class so she ate two Peppermint Patties; two hours later her blood sugar was over 400. (These numbers and times were confirmed by her glucose meter and teacher.) Her A1C has been going up and up in the two years she's been under my care, and when last year a normal insulin dose would be 3 or 4 units, this year it is 7 or 8. 

So, come Friday afternoon, when I received a call from the school secretary, I wasn't at all surprised to hear that her blood sugar was high and she had moderate ketones. She had called her mom, who was at work and told her to call her aunts, but none of the aunts answered and then her mom wouldn't pick up again. I told them to keep calling her back and had I not been at the dentist's office, I'd have taken her home myself. 

It wasn't until after I hung up with the secretary that it dawned on me that Spitfire's mom answered the first time - knew she wasn't feeling well and what her blood sugar was - and then ignored the calls after that. How can parents of children with serious medical issues just ignore phone calls from the school, particularly after she already knew something was wrong? I don't understand some people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment