17.3.16

BMI testing

Our state does height and weight measurements as part of the physical fitness testing in 5th grade (and maybe other grades, too). I *HATE* doing both. It is incredibly stressful to the kids, particularly the outliers in both height and especially weight. I do it as privately as possible, but it still sucks for them. It never fails that I hear later that someone returned to class crying, no matter how discrete I am. An obese 5th grader will already know he/she is larger than his/her peers, and doesn’t need a scale to say so. So, here’s another study in which research dollars funded an obvious answer to a question: BMI measurements at school are ineffective.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous24/3/16 05:19

    Just be happy you're not in New Jersey. I have to do height and weight on EVERY kid EVERY year. Useless information--this year's overweight kids were last year's overweight kids.

    ReplyDelete