23.9.10

Uncle Jose is coming to visit

This week was kindergarten vision and hearing screening, and it made me want to pull my hair out. I was stationed on hearing testing, and with many of the kids, it went something like this:
Me: Okay, these headphones are going to go on your ears and make a noise like beep beep beep. And when you hear the beep beep beep I want you to clap [+ demonstration of clap], okay?
Kid: Yes! [Vigorous nodding.]
Me: Okay, get your hands ready to clap! [Turn audiometer on.]
Kid: [Facial expressions clearly show sound recognition, but sits there like a bump on a log.]
Me: Remember what you're going to do when you hear something?
Kid: Yes! Clap!
Me: Okay, then, clap when you hear a sound... [Turn audiometer on.]
Kid: [Bump on a log.]

Several hours later, I was left wondering why I ever wanted to be a school nurse. It makes me fear for the next generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment