25.10.12

It's Still Red Ribbon Week

After hearing a student was offering drugs to his classmates, the fifth grade student (yes, that's 5th grade), was summoned to the principal's office. A search of his backpack turned up a makeshift pipe with marijuana residue, and the student confessed both that he does smoke and was wanting to distribute. The cops were called, the parents called, and the student was picked up. All any of us in the office could think was: that poor kid. He apparently brought Hustler magazine to school as a kindergartener, at that time saying that his dad didn't want to bring it to work so he stuck it in the kid's backpack. It's not the kid's fault that his parent(s?) are inept; and this incident reaffirms my believe there should be a license required to have a child. Oh, and it's Red Ribbon Week: this all took place under a zillion red ribbons and decorations suggesting we're too cool for drugs at this school.

As part of Red Ribbon Week, each day has a theme. Today's was pajama day, the first spirit day I've ever "dressed up" for. Naturally, while in my pajamas, I forgot my wallet and needed gas to get home, so I had to a) borrow money from a secretary and b) actually go in to pay and be seen at the gas station, in my pajamas, in the middle of the afternoon. It was also one of the first days I didn't bring enough to eat and had to go to the cafeteria and ask for spare food for the hungry nurse, trudging through the cafeteria in my pajamas.

No comments:

Post a Comment