13.2.14

Training my replacement

This week I've been stuck training my replacement...One of the six LVNs they have hired/are hiring within a span of four weeks. She'll fill in for me while I'm on maternity leave, but we all know that in the end, eventually, LVNs are going to take over the positions of the health clerks and us more expensive RNs. 

It's a very strange thing to be training the person (or kind of nurse, rather) that will be replacing the RNs. While I think it's best for the district, and the students, I can't help but automatically not like the girl I've been assigned to. Particularly when I was introducing her to my diabetics, and she said about them, "So basically you're here to babysit them?" 

Hardly. After that comment, and suggesting that my calculated doses of insulin for Spitfire are "guesses," I sat her down and relayed this old story to her. Hopefully I scared her into taking insulin seriously, because I'm not too eager to turn my diabetics over to someone totally incompetent. 

On a related note, I'm feeling and looking more pregnant by the day and now cannot escape the unbelievable comments that people feel free to make to pregnant women. Example: A noon duty asked me this week, "Are you enjoying getting heavier?" Gee...thanks for pointing that out. At least it wasn't as bad as the man who suggested I must be due "in the next month" a full nine weeks from my due date. 

No comments:

Post a Comment