28.8.14

Pop pop pop

Sometimes even I forget what kinds of neighborhoods I work in. Today, there was a shooting across the street from one of my sites, 45 minutes before the students were to be released for the day. We first found out not from the police department, but from the principal who heard it herself while she was outside, three distinct pops. The kids were brought in, and the secretary called the police to question why we weren't on lockdown. (Apparently only the police department can decide when a school is on lockdown.) For whatever reason, they didn't put the school on lockdown immediately, so at the secretary's urging, I walked out with the principal and drove away to pick my baby up from daycare before I got stuck in a lockdown for the rest of the day. Just another day in paradise...

No comments:

Post a Comment