9.2.15

Untitled.

I just received word this evening that one of my students passed away this weekend of an asthma attack. He was a kindergartner this year, one I've met several times for a variety of reasons, and he always left an impression on me. Just last week, I met his mom, when she brought in an inhaler for him to have at school. The paperwork for her son was insufficient, but I ended up accepting her son's emergency department discharge paperwork instead of the district medication form we use so she wouldn't have to wait for a doctor's appointment to have the medication at school. "I want inhalers here, we can work on formalizing the paperwork later," I told her. 

Her son came to me first thing that Tuesday morning, and I could see that he needed his inhaler, so I coached him through it. Just over an hour later, he came to my office again asking to use the inhaler. I listened to his lungs and explained to him that his lungs sounded clear. He said he was "scared" of having trouble breathing - and who could blame him - which was why he wanted his inhaler again. We talked at length about staying calm and techniques to do so, and he gave me a high five on his way out the door. 

And now, he is gone. 

4 comments:

  1. I have just said a special prayer for you and his family! So sorry to hear this :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sympathies to you, the student's family and to the school family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry. This is my greatest fear as a school nurse...asthma is terrifying. If only people got just a tiny bit as concerned about asthma as they do about stupid lice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my nightmare too - my 15 year old granddaughter has severe asthma, has circled the drain in resus a few times. This week she is supposed to be coming for her first holiday for 5 years since the asthma got really bad. They live in Scotland, we live in Italy. And this morning she has a cold.

    The weeks the school scare is nits is no big deal...

    ReplyDelete