27.11.12

No problemo

I was out to eat last week during our break, sitting on the sidewalk patio of a restaurant. A family with two young kids was walking by, and just as they did, the young girl vomited all over the sidewalk. The poor mother was horrified, apologizing profusely while trying to rinse it off. "Not to worry," I assured her, "I'm a school nurse. I see it all the time." Sure enough, on my first day back yesterday, I was overloaded with kids who had vomited in class: four or five all came in within an hour or so, perhaps a bit sick that they had to be back in school, or still recovering from Thanksgiving. 
----------------------
Totally unrelated, a substitute teacher needed something out of his car today, and I volunteered to watch the second grade class for a few minutes. The class was watching some puppet version of The Lion King, but when they saw me, the chairs turned around to talk to me in the back of the class. Pretty soon, everyone was raising their hands to tell me their "This one time..." stories of being hurt and seeing a doctor. "This one time, my cousin Flea, he flipped his car..." 

No one saw any part of the movie while I was in there, but I couldn't help myself: second graders are a fantastic age of cuteness, old enough (usually) to know their name, young enough to still be (sort of) innocent. Aww! 

No comments:

Post a Comment