15.1.13

The flu.

It's taken over the news, and I'm sure you're all aware that it's flu season. But really, it's flu season. I've had the same thermometer for years, and it's never it's never showed me with a temperature greater than 98.0 degrees...Until Thursday evening. I went home shivering and was dealt my first fever in my adult life - yes, somehow I had strep throat in August without a fever. So came a sick day on Friday where I spent literally the entire day in bed, drifting in and out of feverish sleep, not even able to eat or drink. It was one very miserable day, followed by a terrible headache the next day - no doubt due to dehydration, followed by another couple of days of fatigue and goiter sized lymph nodes. After another...oh, say, 14 hours of sleep yesterday, I'm finally on the mend today. How nice it is to see the world again.  

There's nothing quite like your first fever in adulthood to make you more sympathetic to the sick kids you see at work, and also, no, I didn't get a flu shot this year. Oops. Anyway, everyone, just stay home when you're sick, and I sure hope you have a Netflix subscription you can access. Good luck getting through flu season!
I will be returning to my regular programming here tomorrow, where I'll share with you the story of a home visit I did on Thursday just before the delirium of my fever set in. Yay! 


2 comments:

  1. Anonymous15/1/13 17:02

    I got the flu shot and still got the flu, and was sick for about a week. Apparently this year's vaccine isn't a great match for some of what's going around. I work at a university (not as a nurse) and flu season for us started back in November, with a lot of people getting it, even tho they got the flu shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are feeling better! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete