25.1.13

yakking

I call the mother of one of my diabetics (High Maintenance boy) every day so that she can log his blood sugars. This is not a complaint; I wish Spitfire's parents cared just enough to remember to pack her meter every day. The only unfortunate bit is that High Maintenance's mom can be pretty talkative, and I can have a hard time getting off the phone with her. 

Yesterday, she started chattering about this and that (I have to admit to only half listening, as I call her during the "lunch crunch" and am trying to cure supposedly broken limbs and mysterious stomachaches at the same time), and I was "uh-huh"-ing her as usual. I tuned back into her when I could tell she was about to hang up, just in time to hear her say quickly, "Thanks for all you do honey, you work hard for him and I really appreciate the way you take care of my son." 

Parents, there is nothing that makes the day of a school nurse (or a teacher, or anyone else more accustomed to receiving complaints than compliments) than hearing some kind words and being made to feel like we're doing something right at work. Happy Friday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment