14.8.13

Back in the saddle again

I started back at work on Monday, with students returning today. With one of our nurses having retired last year, I knew changes would lay ahead for this year, but they're less drastic than I'd anticipated (phew). I have Diabetic Land elementary school with Spitfire diabetic for the 2nd or 3rd year now; Disneyland elementary school, land of happy teachers and poor students in the ghetto, for the 4th year in a row; and I am continuing with the "Institution" as it shall be dubbed, where the students refer to me as ma'am, there is NO talking in the hallways, ever, and everyone is neatly buckled into crisp uniforms. Instead of adding a high school to the mix, I somehow accidentally volunteered myself, while still waking up during our Monday morning meeting to discuss assignments, for...well, I'll just call it the Special Place. There's only 40 or so students, grades K-12, and all have severe behavioral and/or medical issues preventing them from being at any of the district's other schools. I thought it'd be a breeze, but have spent countless hours this week creating care plans for everyone, and have had to essentially neglect my other schools. Luckily, they know me, and know I'll get to them eventually. Also, someone's P.O. came to the Special Place to check up on them today, and I'm led to believe this is a normal occurrence there. (I'll be keeping my phone in my pocket at that site.) 

Having to get up in the morning and leave my comfy bed and lovable pets has been a rough adjustment, but it's conversations like the one I had with Spitfire today that eventually make it worth it: 
Spitfire (staring at a new-to-her ring on my left hand): Are you engaged or something?
Me: Yes...Is that okay?
Spitfire: What?! I didn't even know you had a boyfriend. Are you old enough to be engaged??
Me: I'm 28, what do you think?
Spitfire: Oh, okay, I guess that's okay. Weird. 

4 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS on your engagement!

    And glad you're back in school! I"m looking forward to reading about all of your adventures. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your engagement! And glad your back to posting your nursing adventures.

    ReplyDelete