29.8.13

Victory at last.

The lice policy, yes, that old thing that I brought to my boss's attention eons ago, is finally in effect. The new policy reflects current recommendations by the American Academy of Pediatrics and Department of Public Health, only excluding students in cases of active head lice as opposed to our outdated "nit-free" policy we used to have. 

We received approval from our boss to enforce it yesterday afternoon, and I wasn't at work for more than 20 minutes this morning before the secretary came to me complaining about it. "Do the people that wrote this thing know everyone is going to have lice now?" I conveniently forgot to mention the fact that it was actually me that wrote it, and just pretended to sympathize with feigned disgust at the new policy, while mentioning as politely as I could that our district is in fact behind the times in adapting the not-as-new-anymore recommendations regarding lice in school. What I also definitely did not mention was what the insides of me were trying to refrain from shouting: 

FINALLY!!!!!!!! It's about damn time. 

May evidence-based practice always win, eventually. 

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting an EBP policy implemented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huge congrats to you!!!!!! You have really shown here how implementing EBP is a labor of love. I would love to hear how Mrs. Meanie (the mean teacher who used to treat those poor girls like filth) has reacted.
    I wonder what would happen if the medical journal articles showing this is standard practice mysteriously appeared in a teachers break room or copy room :)
    And how are the two sweet girls with recurring lice. Any word on them yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Now the Sweetie 1 and 2 will no longer be embarrassed by Ms. Meanie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our school policy is that No child should miss school for lice. Therefore, we do not send kids home even if they have live lice. In the last two years I have yet to see a case spread in the classroom. By the way - love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete