15.9.14

Crucial Conversations

If I may toot my own horn, which is essentially what this blog is a platform for doing, I had a really pleasant interaction with a parent this morning. She was upset because I had let her foster daughter call home when she complained to me that she wasn't feeling well. Instead of wussing out, for lack of a better term, I responded, "I get that that's frustrating, you don't want her calling unless she has a fever. The reason I let her is that I have had too many parents complain of their child not being able to call home, so my policy is to let the student work it out with their parents. Now I know that you would only like her to call home in case of a fever, and we will do that in the future. I apologize." She was *so* nice after that, and all it took was some positive communication on my end, instead of being either immediately defensive, or apologizing insincerely. Cheers to me! 

Also, a secretary came to tell me that someone had called and referenced me with, "the pretty blonde nurse" when she couldn't remember my name.
What a nice Monday. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm new to your blog, but I too am a school nurse. I work in an urban core so phone numbers are tricky anyway but I have a policy that I do not call home unless the child must go home (vomit x2, fever over 101, etc.) or they have an injury that needs to be brought to the parent's attention. I have only had one parent upset that I didn't let their child call home due to a stomach ache, so I have yet to change my calling policy. It's nice to read what other nurses do. I'm not friendly with any of the other nurses in my district so your blog is nice!

    p.s. I am pregnant with my first child and will be gone for the end of the school year so reading your pregnancy/nursing blogs were great as well.

    ReplyDelete