4.10.14

The grass probably isn't greener

Warning: long post ahead.

The school nurse position I have now was my first "real" job out of nursing school. I dabbled as a summer camp nurse before it, and someone that I encountered that summer suggested I look at school nursing jobs. So I did, thinking I had nothing to lose, as finding a job with benefits was something I was struggling with. When I received the offer for my current job shortly after I interviewed, I accepted, thinking it would be something to tide me over until I got a "real" nursing job. When I signed my paperwork at HR, they presented me with a hiring bonus offer. I would keep the bonus if I stayed for three years, and I asked the HR representative what would happen if I left: it's a hassle, she explained, but all you have to do is pay it back. I took it, but not readily, assuming I'd surely have a new job by then and didn't want to have to repay a hiring bonus to HR.


In the last four years, I have applied to countless jobs on and off with varying degrees of enthusiasm. I've had a few interviews, but nothing panned out. Then I got pregnant, and I wondered what kind of role model I'd be to my child if I stayed in a job I felt unchallenged in, so I returned to the job search with renewed vigor. I went on maternity leave, and worked even harder to find a new job; I had to turn down two different interviews the week she was born because I wasn't physically ready for them. I pressed on over the summer, most recently with an interview at the local public health department just before I started back as a school nurse.

Complicating matters has been California's School Nurse Credential requirements. I received my "preliminary" credential just for being a breathing human being with a nursing license, but I knew I would need to go back to school - at no small cost, of course - to get my "clear" credential and keep my position as a school nurse. The concept has been difficult to wrap my brain around: after receiving my Master's several years ago, I was sure I was done with school. How could I have to pay to go to school to keep my job? It sounded nuts.

Then I was a working mother, and everything changed. I had four glorious (and exhausting, and blurry) months during maternity leave, and didn't realize how much I was taking for granted that time with her. Back at work, I had one hour in the morning with her, and two to three hours in the afternoons with her before her bedtime. (Yes my baby sleeps 11-12 hours a night and yes I know I am lucky.) I realized what it would be if I took a job at the local health department: less than an hour in the morning, and less than an hour in the evenings, not to mention no Thanksgiving, Christmas, spring, or summer breaks.

I sent in my acceptance to a credential program this week; I start in January 2015 and will have my full credential in December 2015. I have a job that is what I make of it, and it has been challenging and overwhelming so far this year; I know once I get in the rhythm of things again I will appreciate once again the special part of some children's life I get to be as their school nurse. Importantly, I've realized school nursing is a "real" job, and I would challenge anyone who had the guts to say to me otherwise to take over for a week.

My daughter turns 6 months old Tuesday, and I could not be happier to pick her up from daycare each afternoon. I love her, and finally know that the grass probably isn't greener than what I have now. Life is good, so why change it? Even if it means going back to school to maintain it. The other thing it means: I no longer go to work already halfway out the door, keeping my eye out for something better. I don't really know what is better than having a job I don't mind much of the time, and even really like sometimes, that pays the bills sufficiently to maintain a humble but happy lifestyle in one crazy town that I love.

Edited to add: I saved this post as a draft earlier in the week, and have had one of the worst weeks at school I've ever had (to be posted later), and I am still happy I have committed to the credential program to stay where I am.

3 comments:

  1. I was inspired to become a nurse by one of my school nurses growing up. Never underestimate the work that you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I gotta say you're a tough one! Keep on pushing on! The grass might be greener up ahead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous20/7/15 09:13

    I took my school nurse position just to have a paycheck shortly after moving with my husband. I'd worked in nursing administration and program management, so I was planning on using it as a place holder while I searched for something with far better pay and more lucrative position. But you're right. It's great to have all the time with my kids. I recently turned down a decent salary increase for an admin job because I did the math and I'd really be making less per hour (factoring in all the school holidays) and almost never seeing my kids. I'd have never thought that school nursing would turn out to be something that I like as much as I do...grass greener and all. I get it now.

    ReplyDelete