25.1.16

Calm. Down.

I think the vast majority of us on this planet – or perhaps just those with first world “problems” – need to take a chill pill. Most of the time, we are not in a life or death emergency, and even if we are, freaking out about it won’t do anyone any good. I may not be saving the world as a school nurse, but the least I can do is calm people down.

When a student came into the office sobbing after lunch, and when his friends said he “collapsed” in the cafeteria saying his head hurt, I was not surprised when the secretary came to get me. The other aide in the office whose position I have not figured out (a secretary for the secretary, it appears), reported the student’s temperature as 101.7, while the secretary anxiously exclaimed, “They said he didn’t hit his head, I don’t know what happened!” It took about 1 minute for me to interview the kiddo and discover that, besides his fever, he hadn’t eaten since the day before. Hmm. I don’t think it takes a rocket scientist, or even a school nurse, to figure out why his head was hurting. Still, I had to spell out to the secretary, who watched over my shoulder as I assessed the student, “He needs to go home. He’s sick.” As in, close your gaping mouth, this is not an emergency, let’s move on with our day, he’ll be fine.

I know some of her worry comes from the lovely ladies and gentleman at the district office following a threatened, or perhaps real, lawsuit related to a first aid incident at the school earlier this year. (My own perspective on that: someone’s wanting money and the school is not at fault.) But seriously, folks. It’s a fever. Kid hasn’t eaten. He has a headache. Calm down. 

I am often amazed that I am paid to dispense common sense. 

1 comment: