6.1.16

Welcome, 2016!

The first day back from winter break, I was scheduled to cover for an LVN’s assignment – part at my school and part at a school foreign to me. (This was a result of the fact that our work was sponsoring a conference, unrelated to the medical field, for those interested. I didn’t feel like it was worth the cost of what they wouldn’t be covering for the trip, so I passed.) The day was to involve four diabetics of varying independence levels and a G-tube feeding, which I haven’t done alone…um…ever. I tagged along with the LVN on her assignment in December to meet the kiddos while trying to ignore the fact that I had somehow volunteered to do this assignment despite the fact that a) RNs in our district are not supposed to have to cover for LVNs (a breach of contract, I’ve learned!) and b) the middle and high schools were scheduled for a “work day” without students, meaning at least a handful of LVNs had nothing to do the day I would be covering this assignment. But I digress. I met the kiddos, was reminded how to do a G-tube feeding, and then went into winter break with a small cloud over my head reminding me that my first day back I’d be covering in uncharted territory, and our lead nurse, supervisor, and every other veteran RN I knew were on a work trip.

It was a dark and stormy day, literally, and I hoped for many absences to make my day easier. Not my luck: all the students I needed to see made it to school. The day went by in a blur and I loved it. I remembered that I really do enjoy what I do sometimes. I taught a first grader how to change her lancet, and she said, “Thank you! I didn’t know how to do that before.” How much better can a job be? The G-tube feeding was for a second grader who chatted happily with me the entire time about the puppy she is getting next month. I was told if you don’t keep her distracted, she complains she’s full and tries to stop the feeding early; instead, I had to remind her it was over and time to go back to class, and she asked to see me again. And, once more, how much better can a job be?

Unfortunately, that job was covering someone else’s job. She’s an RN herself working as an LVN, and she told me when I met her she didn’t want my job…I know why. I get paid a ridiculous hourly rate for what I do, can work from home sometimes, and have all the holidays off, and I still don’t think that is enough anymore. The longer I’m a school nurse, particularly after finishing the credential program – in which I became convinced every other district has similar problems, the less sure I am that I want to do this any longer. I tossed out a couple of resumes last month to see what the job market was like and was 2 for 2 on interview requests. I declined because I’m not ready to break my contract just yet, but it was good feedback. When I originally became a school nurse, I didn’t feel I had other options and just needed a job; now, I have options and am not sure I’ll be staying here for eternity…or the next school year. (Which I’ve said for five years now, and then summer break comes along and I suddenly have amnesia about any of the problems in this job.)

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I’m a MSN student at ECPI and I just want to Thank You for being a school nurse because school nurses improve attendance through health promotion, disease prevention and disease management and help save the principals, teachers, and clerical staff a considerable amount of time that they would have spent addressing health concerns of students. Students that have chronic conditions like diabetes require daily health care at school and having insufficient staffing can lead to inconsistency in their care. Being able to managing students with chronic conditions to allow them to stay in school is a great thing!

    ReplyDelete