9.12.10

All in a day's work

This morning I was called at an ungodly hour by one of my schools (okay, 7:15). It was the school I had been at yesterday, and left early for an appointment (really). I was hesitant to answer: I decided either someone was dead, or I was completely disoriented and was perhaps supposed to be at work at that time, and maybe even had the days of the week wrong and was supposed to be at that school. Nope, they just needed me to swing by on my way to another school in order to identify an assortment of pills. A student had been caught with a bottle of random pills, and they wanted to see if they were actually the allergy pills she claimed them to be. I felt like Ralphie in A Christmas Story decoding what turned out to be the Ovaltine message. One by one, I looked them up, and every single one of them was disappointing: some form of an antihistamine, an over the counter cold remedy drug; the most interesting was an herbal diet pill. It was terribly anticlimactic. Also, yes, I know anyone with the ability to type and use a search engine could have done this, but people apparently have an aversion to touching pills.

I get asked a lot what I do during the day, and the answer is I don't know. There really is no such thing as a typical day, as I'm reminded so often, and a lot of my day is hoping for and then dealing with surprises like the one above.

No comments:

Post a Comment