26.5.11

No sugarcoating here

My 3rd grader diabetic has been misbehaving to the nth degree lately, abusing his standing hall pass by saying he's shaky and needs to check his blood sugar. Today his pump fell out and his mom needed to come and change the site; unfortunately, she forgot the numbing cream. His heartbreaking response: "I wish diabetes didn't exist." 


My 8th grader diabetic, the one who one day didn't eat lunch after taking 14 units of insulin, must be thinking the same thing: today she decided that she was ready to be an independent diabetic. I arrived at 12:30 to meet her at 12:40 in my office where I have her check her blood sugar, calculate the units she needs (which she has absolutely no understanding of how to do still) and then make sure she draws up the correct amount of insulin. I sent out a search party but couldn't find her until I found her on her way to 5th period, 35 minutes  later. I asked her if her mom knew she decided she was ready to be independent, she said no. Well, young lady, she's going to know. You made the nurse a pretty unhappy camper today, having to wait and worry. Not only that, but if I ask you how many units of insulin you gave yourself a half hour ago, you had better be able to tell me exactly how many and why that many. If you can't do that, you're not ready to do your insulin in the bathroom. Insulin kills, and if you're using it alone, you need to know how. Period. 


This is me laying down the law to cyberspace, because her parents are unreachable to discuss this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment