8.5.11

Up in arms

It really, really irks me that only some of the menu's nutrition facts are posted in the school cafeteria. The menu has a main entree that varies each day, and then several stations that have something kids can count on every day, including the salad bar. I had the misfortune of acquiring a new diabetic last week at my middle school and went to the cafeteria to ask the kind lunch lady there (who gives me crackers to keep in the office even though she's not supposed to) for the nutrition facts. The diabetics need access to the nutrition facts before they enter the lunch line so that they can give the proper dose of insulin; having the nutrition facts and menu printed on paper in my office would save precious lunch time. The lunch lady informed me, regretfully, that they do not print menus for middle or high schools, nor are there complete nutrition facts available at the ready. While I was concerned for my diabetics, she said she's embarrassed when kids watching their weight ask for them and she's not able to provide anything. Calorie counting or insulin dosing, I find it absurd that complete nutrition facts are not available. The lack of a printed menu is totally inconvenient for my diabetics, and now I understand why one of my kids has a cheeseburger every single day: he knows it will be there, and he knows how many carbs are in one.

There are a lot of changes I would like to make in the schools, especially in regards to the cafeteria, but I feel like this one is truly feasible, and totally necessary to take upon myself. Now I just need to find the time to make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment