24.1.12

The things these kids deal with...

My little spitfire diabetic, eight years old, has been acting differently since we returned from break. She's been subdued, almost depressed, and I'm not the only one who's noticed this change. She's casually mentioned various people in her life being at court for a variety of issues, totally matter-of-fact while she's talking about it, but her overall change in demeanor leads me to believe that it's affecting her more than she's letting on. I have been trying to cheer her up by chatting with her about my dog (who she's decided she loves just based on his pictures), bringing her tangerines from my tree for her to bring home, and letting her play with my iPod. She drew me this lovely picture: my dog being attacked by spiders.

I wish I could think of a better way to cheer her up, but short of packing her in my car and bringing her to live with my dog and me, I'm not sure what I can do for her. :( 

She's not my only kid with heavy stuff on her mind, either. I commented to his mom that my other diabetic didn't seem to be being as mindful of portioning out his snack according to his blood sugar accordingly, and she said he has been being bullied at school and is afraid of being beat up - hence the distraction from his blood sugar. [He's totally justified - apparently the other kid that has been making threats toward him punched his cousin, a 2nd grader at the time, in the face last year.] Also, a student at my middle school is in the psychiatric ward of the hospital. Reason: extreme bullying caused a mental breakdown. 

What the heck happened to kids being kids? 

4 comments:

  1. Hi there. I've been reading your blog for a few months now and really enjoy it. This is my first year as a school nurse. Do you see a role for the school nurse in dealing w. the bullying? We have started to have this problem in my school, too, and I am trying to figure out my role. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in your boat: trying to figure out my role. I'm seeing that I can be another eye, and report things appropriately when I do hear about things; I'm also another pair of ears to listen to the kids that want to talk about it. At least at my sites, a lot of what is going on is cyber-bullying, and I'm at a total loss on how to stop that.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much. Keep up the good work!!!!

      Delete
  2. It must be hard to witness the struggles these little ones are going through at home.

    And I agree with "spitfire" that Mikey is adorable.

    ReplyDelete