8.2.12

Continued

Continuing the story of Absence Seizure boy and his impossible to reach father...

Imagine my shock when the main office called to say Absence Seizure Boy's dad was at school to see me. I know my short time in this position already has me jaded, because one of the first things that went through my head was, "$#@$, I really wish I had a bulletproof vest." Instead of someone coming to yell at me though, I got to meet one of the nicest, most concerned parents I've had the pleasure of meeting. He apologized profusely for not getting in touch with me earlier, which I totally forgave as soon as I saw how clear it was that this man had his son's best interests at heart. We discussed a care plan, and his son's current health - including a small brain tumor that is small enough and stagnant enough that the doctor's have chosen not to remove it, at least for now. He recently gained full custody of his four children, and it could not be more obvious that this man wants only the best for his kids. I rarely have the opportunity to interact with such positive, caring, and thankful parents, and it totally made my day.

Or so I thought, until I checked my voicemail late afternoon. It was the campus police officer calling me, someone I've only nodded to in the hallway before, asking about Absence Seizure boy. Apparently he got word that A.S. boy has a brain tumor, and just, you know, "wanted to know if the police department could do anything to help." What? How nice was that message? Of course I accidentally deleted the message before jotting down his number, but I can't wait to tell him that there's nothing to do at the moment for the kid, but what a nice gesture from the police department. In line with the esteem I think our 911 dispatchers should be held in, cheers to an awesome police department!

Side note, I ran into a different campus police officer a couple days ago. Two of his recent highlights: a man getting himself caught for indecent exposure in front of an elementary school just as the kids were leaving for the day, and a middle school student found smoking a bowl IN class. Both of these incidents were in the "nice" part of town. It's like Antoine Dodson said...Hide your kids, hide your wife! 

No comments:

Post a Comment