24.2.12

Miscellaneous Items

A girl came to school today in slippers not because she wanted to, but because she didn't have shoes. She said she was embarrassed and our awesome secretary ran over to Target, on her own dime, to buy her some shoes. Some people call this enabling, letting parents send their kids to school without proper clothing knowing the school will take care of it, but when you're looking at a seven year old girl so ashamed of herself that she won't make eye contact, you can't help but help her.

While the secretary was out, the attendance clerk sent me to supervise a first grade class while the teacher had to step out for a few minutes. How fun!! They were so thrilled to have the nurse be their "teacher" for a few minutes, and when you have 20 kids who are so excited to see you they can barely stay in their seats, you can't help but be happy. I had various kids I've seen in my office lately shouting at me how their cough has gone away, or how the lump on their arm is still there, and we had a Q&A about the materials in my hand - vision charts and an audiometer. This would be one of those "other duties as assigned" thing, and I'll take over (temporarily, at least) a bunch of six year olds anytime.

When the teacher returned, I continued on my way to finish the last of my kinder screenings in Mrs. Meanie's class. I thought she was just mean in regards to lice, but no, she is mean. I was only in the classroom for 30-40 minutes, and heard not a single positive sentence out of her mouth. Instead, it was, "Hey! Do I need to send to the principal's office?" Really a tragedy to have such a person leading a classroom of terrified 5-6 year olds, but at least she is the black sheep of teachers at this school.

It's that time of year again...Budget proposals. No one is happy, and morale is low. And no, nurses aren't safe either, and I'm at the bottom of the totem pole. Yay.

Last but not least, if you're in a school district that does NOT have a no-nit policy, please please please email me your board policy (if you can find it) on lice - click the "Contact Me" button on the top right corner. Are live bugs allowed? Is there notification if nits are found? I intend to go into my policy revision meeting next weeked fully armed.

1 comment:

  1. Brittany1/3/12 05:54

    I know the AAP does not support the no-nit policy. I'm sure you can use documents from them to help support your ideas

    ReplyDelete