17.1.14

Crossing the threshold

Unrelated to work, I know that my baby belly has officially crossed the threshold from questionably and awkwardly fat to pregnant. A student was getting his medicine, took a look at my stomach, and exclaimed, "Are you pregnant?!" He came back to me the next day to ask how many weeks along I am, and I asked him - a fourth grader - how he knows so much about pregnancy. He wouldn't answer me, but I suspect with the 5 older siblings he has, he may already have a niece or nephew.

A nurse left over winter break, and this week they interviewed LVNs to replace the departed RN. One of them will be filling in for me once I begin maternity leave, and it is a very strange thing to know that the person filling in for me will be much more bang for the school district's buck than I am. It's nothing any of us can argue; in fact, I've often wondered why my district hasn't followed the suit of others sooner and let the RNs go, but it's still a strange thing to watch it evolve as it is.

And in one sad incident of the day, a 5th grader wanted to call home for an inhaler. I looked up his phone number and was going to let him call, but then he immediately backed up and said, "I'm scared, I want you to talk to her." I hung up and went to the secretary to ask what this reaction was about: "Oh...He's been having a lot of accidents, and mom isn't happy having to come get him all the time." Poor kiddo - both on the having accidents end, and being scared of his mom.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, nice blog Really very interesting post shared above. Awaiting for more posts like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mrs. Nurse for the great reading material. I’m a new grad RN looking for full-time work, but in the meantime have been a subtitute nurse at a K-3 private school. It’s a lot of fun and it makes me think this is the route I am meant to go. Did you go right into school nursing or did you work Med-Surg first? Thanks for writing!

    ReplyDelete