8.1.14

The end is near


Usually when I get back from the holiday break, I look at the calendar and see that we still have a long way left until summer break. This time, I look at the calendar and see I have only a short time until March, when I expect to leave at spring break and not return until after summer. (There's a baby that seems to be practicing escaping right through the walls of my abdomen that constantly reminds me of this as well...So much that at my last appointment they suggested we may want to have our hospital bags packed nice and early...)

As a soon to be new mom, my head is, naturally, essentially filled with baby thoughts all day and night; work is a second priority these days. I've been maintaining blissful happiness and ignorance this year while the mood of my colleagues continues to sink lower and lower as the year progresses. 

So, I chose to not let it irritate too much yesterday when I received a call from Diabetic Land that Spitfire's blood sugar was 400+ and had high ketones. This is not unusual, unfortunately, but then the secretary relayed that they had called mom, who was sending a neighbor to "give her some insulin" - at 11:30, when she has lunch at 12:30. A nurse can see the problem with this; the secretary sees that someone is dealing with Spitfire. I called mom myself from another site, who let loose a whole can of frustration on me, saying that she was at work, etc. etc. I tried to say as nicely as I could, "I understand this isn't a good time for you; we still need to take care of your daughter though." It was a pretty unpleasant phone call as she vented to me, as she is sure that all of Spitfire's problems are caused by the school; mother herself, naturally has nothing to do with the issues. 

<Sigh.> History continues to repeat itself (see here and here, and it happens far more times than I write about here). Must. Not. Get. Too. Annoyed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment