13.8.15

Day One

Well, Day One for the students. I started off my day at my Title 1 school, which was an absolute madhouse. Apparently it has the same number of office staff as another nearby school - in a much better neighborhood - with twice the students. It was a zoo, to say the least. As it turns out, I know the principal - she and I worked together in one of my schools last year. She left to come to this district, and I accidentally followed her. She and I talked about why we both left our previous district - the same person was the cause for both of us, really - and I made what I hope will turn out to not me a false promise by saying I'd be there more often than the previous nurse that was there on a "drop in" basis. I touched base with a kindergartner with Type 1 Diabetes and his adorably anxious parents, wrote some care plans, and soon was out the door.

Next I went to a home assessment for a preschooler being evaluated for autism. I thought my school had been a zoo; this house with just two kids was far worse. The boy was literally bouncing off the walls, off me and the rest of the assessment team, etc. It was a disaster. Mom had her hands full with a toddler, as well as her son being assessed, but both were so out of control it was near impossible. I left with the adaptive PE teacher, who answered my first question before I could ask it: no, they're not all like that. It was particularly bad, she promised me, and although you never know what you're getting into with a home visit, they don't usually go so poorly.

Last stop was a second school, in a great little neighborhood just a few miles from my Title 1 school. There, I spent a few hours furiously working on care plans, with the exception of a short "break" when a boy came crying into the office. The office staff clearly normally handles all of the minor first aid, but asked me to check this one out. In five years as a school nurse, I had never seen a broken bone until today -- don't ask me how I managed that. But today, I finally saw what was clearly a broken bone. The poor first grader was sobbing in pain and looking like he was going to pass out. Mom got there quickly, and I returned to my care plan work.

If today was any sign, it will be an interesting school year.

No comments:

Post a Comment