11.8.15

New Beginnings

A new school year, in a new job, in a new town. I know what you're thinking...Already?? Yes, school starts this week for many of us. Gone are the after-Labor-Day school year starts around here.

My first official day was today, although I went in last week for orientation, and students begin later this week. My assignment is to cover three elementary schools and a middle school, and oversee 1.3 LVNs to cover diabetics, health and vision screenings, IEPs, and whatever else comes up.

With no direction as to what to do first thing this morning, I decided to show up to one of my schools and at least introduce myself. I happened to get there the same time as an all-staff meeting, so I had the opportunity to meet all of the teachers and support staff. There was a common theme to their reaction about me: "Thank goodness." This particular school is a Title I school, and, apparently, not an easy one. The psychologist flat out said it is a tough school to have as an incoming nurse to the district, and then, when we were signing up for vision screening at the end of a nurse's meeting, one nurse mentioned it as well. "Okay, Mrs. Nurse, I'll help you out there..We'll tackle it together, it'll be okay." She was trying to soothe me about something I didn't know I should be anxious about. I mentioned what she said to our lead nurse, and all she did was pat me on the back and say, "Yeah...it'll keep you busy."

So, there's that school! Who knows what that might bring. Plus, two other elementary schools, three diabetics among two school sites, IEPs coming in already, etc. Such is the life of a school nurse.

The good news: we have a great lead nurse, and some of my coworkers seem particularly positive and team-oriented -- quite the opposite of the last five years. I'm not really sure what's in store for me, but the overall attitude among all the nursing staff seems to be, "We'll make it," instead of, "We're screwed." Hallelujah.

No comments:

Post a Comment