24.8.15

Spitfire 2.0, and, phew.

Here I was, concerned about my lack of contact with students at this new job...Hah! I spent three hours this morning dealing with an out of control kindergartner with Type 1 diabetes. His teachers had mentioned he was having some behavior issues, and weren't sure how much of that could be attributed to blood sugar spikes and falls. I kind of rolled my eyes a bit, to myself, when they were telling me this, but I said I'd stop in. Then I popped in this morning, as promised, and could not believe it. Twenty-six kids were sitting in their squares, criss-cross-applesauce with bubbles in their mouths, and the one I went to check on was spinning in circles, crawling on desks, trespassing around the teacher's desk, etc. It was bad. We ended up having an impromptu meeting with dad after school due to a comment the young lad had made: "I'm mad so I better check my blood sugar." I've seen kids manipulate adults using diabetes, but not at five years old...yikes. His blood sugar was completely normal all morning but repeatedly asked to test and said his blood sugar was why he was acting so poorly.

This kid is going to be a problem for my foreseeable future, but ahhh...it feels good to see a blood glucose meter again.

No comments:

Post a Comment