25.2.11

TGIF

Today's the first day I've ever covered for another nurse, so I don't know why I was surprised to find my phone ringing at 8:30 this morning with one of her schools calling: everything happens to me, I've come to expect it. The diabetic I'm responsible for today had her pump fall out last night and put it back in this morning, but wasn't feeling well when she got to school. No wonder: her blood sugar was 562, and the school was calling to find out what to do about it. 

What do I know? Who is this girl? Does she have insulin orders? I don't know! I told them to send her home asap, and very apologetically called the nurse who had the day off. She concurred, and it was a great relief to hear the student's mother was on her way to pick her up.

More Friday randomness...


- I wrote an automated "all call" on Wednesday to notify parents of the upcoming Tdap requirement - this was a suggestion by our director, and seemed a common sense first step to me that I wanted to get started on. The very next day, our director emailed an all call script to principals. They were very similar and the school preferred mine, but still - don't tell me to do something that you're going to go and do yourself and make me look like the clueless new nurse.

- About the all call, a parent emailed me (!!!!) asking for clarification about the new requirement. Apparently the all call was "mumbled." Awesome.

- I tested a third grade girl - I repeat, a girl - this morning for color deficiency at her teacher's request. She saw all but one plate - highly unusual and, of course, the experienced nurse I called to ask what to do about it had never heard such a thing. I called the mom and told her while she's getting glasses at her upcoming optometrist appointment to have the doctor check her eyes out as well. Weird.

- What about a "nit-free policy" do parents not understand? If your child has nits, they are not nit-free. Done.

- Bear hugs from the littlest kiddos is the best way to start the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment