15.9.11

Keep your story straight

Two girls came into my office asking for ice for their eye after a couple of tetherball accidents. I told them I didn't want them to freeze their eyeball off but that they could have a wet paper towel. I recognized both as frequent fliers and told them to get back to class. A few minutes later, one of them returned, saying again that her eye "really" hurts. Oh crap, I thought to myself, and pictured the worst-case scenario that I always do: this child's eye was ruined, I would be sued, end of my career - death by tetherball. I suggested we call home, and she stood next to me as I looked up her phone number in my computer. As I did, she took the paper towel of her squinting eye, and watched me. As I started dialing the phone number, she put the paper towel back on...the other eye. 
 
I set down the phone and told her I was onto her. I pointed out the inconsistency of her symptoms and she said, "actually, both eyes got hurt." I smiled at her, told her I knew she was lying, and to stop pretending and go back to class. In response I got an embarrassed grin, and she hurried out of my office wide-eyed. 
 
Add this to the tips I've learned from kids in how to get away with things, along with don't sign your name on your criminal activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment