31.5.12

Judgement Day, round 2

We have a monthly meeting where all the nurses come together to discuss our nurse business. Yesterday was the last dreaded meeting of the year, and our head boss even made an appearance. The new lice policy was on the agenda, and I was, yet again, disheartened by the fact that with the exception of the nurse who stayed after last month's meeting to help me edit it, no one had seemed to look at it prior to the meeting (they had an entire month to do so). My boss, who I rarely see, looked at me and asked what the differences are between my proposed policy and the current one. Gulp. I hadn't expected to be in the hotseat as he hemmed over it, gave a couple of suggestions regarding legal jargon in it, and then finally said, "okay." He asked me to send it to him with the edits, and after apologizing for the snail pace of goverment work and board policy changes, said he would try to get it passed over the summer. There have been rumors swirling about some...let's say extracurricular activities...that my boss has been doing and I was worried the gossip would cloud the potential importance of this policy change. Turns out I had nothing to fear as he assured me he will do his best - but makes no promises - to have a new policy for the next school year. I made the edits this morning and sent it off to him. It is officially out of my hands and pushing the send button has never felt so good. I have been working on and off for this lice policy change for a fair portion of the school year, and if it does get passed, I think I'm going to blow it up and laminate it for a certain teacher that inspired me to advocate for a policy change. For now, hallelujah: it's really out of my hands now, and on someone else's plate. Have I mentioned how good that feels?

Moving on - because I can do that now! - check out a student keeping a diary of her school lunches: http://neverseconds.blogspot.com.es/. (Thank you Kristin for the tip!)

Also, stay tuned for next week: it's the last one of the school year, and there will be a sweepstakes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment