14.5.12

Weighing In

As part of 5th grade physical fitness testing, I weighed all the fifth graders at one of my elementary schools today. Doing so confirmed two things for me. One, I cannot guess weights. Two, childhood obesity is a real issue. (Though I know this part better than most, as I spent a summer working for a weight loss camp for teenagers.) Kids weighed in ranging from 52 lbs to a staggering 194.4 lbs, a weight that did not correlate with her height in a healthy manner.

Today I also received a link to this in my inbox: http://theweightofthenation.hbo.com/films from the CSPI mailing list. I hope it does the issue justice.

Meanwhile, an anti-obesity drug is moving forward. Drugs: the solution to all things in America.

Unrelated to unhealthiness, I came into work today to find a lovely gift on my desk of stationery and a candle, as well as a thank you card wishing me a Happy Nurse's Week. Belated or not, it was a good way to start a Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment