20.7.12

A few bad apples

The vast majority of young men at camp appear to truly want to turn their lives around. The bad apples, though, put a blemish on an otherwise successful week. There were the guys that started the fight that turned into a small melee requiring law enforcement attention early in the week. Then there were the guys that on the last full day of camp decided to steal some items while the rest of us were at lunch. After a long search, confessions were made, and the guilty parties went home early. One of them was a camper who had made an especially positive impression me: always kind, yes ma'am or no ma'am answers to me, engaging me in conversation, etc. I was sad to hear he left on the bus of thieves that went home, but it was as I said to my boss: these guys, individually, are polite gentlemen. It's when they get together that the trouble starts. :( 

That said, the rest of the guys really did their best. I just about fell off my chair when I woke a camper sleeping off his nausea in the health center and he asked if he could get me coffee or tea in thanks for letting him rest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment