8.5.13

Hah!

It's about as unnerving to leave my diabetics in the care of another nurse when I take time off as it is to leave my pets in the care of anyone else. After taking a long weekend, I asked Mr. High Maintenance diabetic how it went while I was gone. He's recently switched over to insulin pens, and I've also been encouraging to become more independent prior to his transition to middle school next year (he's told me before that he expects me to be his nurse when he's 30).
Mr. High Maintenance: "Oh, it went okay, I did my own shot!"
Me: "Really, why don't you do that with me then?"
Mr. High Maintenance: "Well, I thought I had to. I didn't think she knew how to do it."
Me: "It's awesome that you did your own, but don't you worry. I only let nurses check in on you when I'm gone, and they all know how to do the same things I do." 

I had a good laugh with the nurse that had covered for me, a diabetic herself, when I informed her that Mr. High Maintenance was under the impression she wouldn't know how to use an insulin pen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment