22.5.13

It's that time of the year...

Chaos. Case in point: I scheduled scoliosis screening for my middle school for Thursday. On Tuesday, I received a call that I needed to be at an IEP that same day, at the same time 6th period scoliosis screening will be taking place. I tried to say this politely to the big-wig district office lady that was calling me about this:
"Well, I have already scheduled scoliosis screening for that day. Also, I know the student, and know that her issues are psychiatric. Shouldn't the psychologist be the one at this IEP?"
"We need a nurse there, so if you can't make it, find someone else that can."
"Oh...okay, then..."
I did, but only after some scrambling. (If someone from the district office tells you to do something, you do it.) It's that time of year where people are finishing up business, and everyone needs me to do something immediately. It's a great challenge to please everyone at every site when you're juggling three schools. Four day weekend is approaching, phew!

1 comment:

  1. These posts do a great job of illustrating the many curve balls educators, including school nurses, encounter on a daily basis. Working in a school can be great, but there are often a large amount of unnecessary hurdles that come with the territory, and in many cases you're dealing with folks who can't think outside of the box (i.e. the "big-wig district office lady")

    ReplyDelete