31.10.13

All Hallow's Eve

Ahh...Halloween...the holiday whose sole focus, let's face it, is sugar. It's not the most pleasant day to work at a school: everyone needs help with their costumes, and can only think of the classroom party they will be having in which they will consume way too much sugar. And while everyone is hyped up on sugar today, tomorrow will come the post-Halloween stomachaches, from their candy binge and staying up too late. In the words of one student today who came in for his daily Ritalin, "We're going to have a party in the classroom and eat tons of candy and then go home and eat more candy and then go trick or treating and then go home and eat MORE candy, it's AWESOME day." 

This year, though, I mentioned to a secretary that I would be off November 1st, and her response was: "Oh, why didn't I think of that?" Working the day after Halloween is that bad. But yes, I'm off to become a Mrs., conveniently timed to miss the post-Halloween illnesses that will surely come tomorrow - YAY!! 

And to give an idea of just how thin we are spread right now (hence the lack of attention this blog is getting), I asked for Monday off as well to extend my eventful weekend. I couldn't find anyone else to cover my diabetics, so I'm coming in and hoping I don't get in an accident or become deathly ill: we don't have enough nurses right now for anyone to be out. 

Lastly, your anecdote of the day: I was drawing up insulin for "The Other One" - my diabetic that I want to pack up and take home with me, she is just that darling. Another student was in the office and questioned what I was doing, "You're allowed to give injections?" Yes, dear, the nurse is allowed to give injections. 

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1/11/13 18:14

    Become a Mrs? Congratulations are in order! And you are a saint to go in Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! I hope it went well!!

    ReplyDelete