11.10.13

The Other One

I have another diabetic this year besides Spitfire, at the Institution, where (almost) all students are amazing little specimens of perfection: creased pants, polished shoes, polite manners. I don't mention her on here maybe because she is just so easy there's nothing to write about. She's an adorable little 5th grader, who arrives on time, is truthful about her blood sugars and what she'll eat for lunch, and, well, she's just a bundle of cheer. 

Even at the Institution though, kids are kids. I was talking with my diabetic about her plans for the weekend, and she told me that she'd probably have to do some chores because her mom wanted the house cleaned. I asked if she had any siblings she could split the load with, and she said no, but that she had her own trick. I asked her what that was, and she explained with a smirk, "I just go in the bathroom for a really long time while my mom keeps working on the house." 

Haha...nice. I'll have to remember that one. 

2 comments:

  1. I can only imagine the interesting conversations you have with your patients. Children can be so funny and so clever! They also probably ask you to help with things that are really no on target. I saw this comic and thought of you. :) http://bit.ly/GWdisr

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that's a neat trick! Children can be so diabolically clever! :)

    ReplyDelete