28.10.13

And this is why...

I left Diabetic Land mid-morning to go take care of my diabetic at The Institution, as I always do. When I returned shortly before lunch, the secretaries informed me Spitfire had been to the office with her usual sky-high blood sugar of 400+. They said they let her call home, and her mom had asked for Spitfire to give herself some insulin. Thankfully, the secretaries told Spitfire's mom that she would have to come give the insulin herself, and by the time I had returned, Spitfire's mom still hadn't showed up. What concerned me about all this: the secretaries and mom were all on board with Spitfire receiving a correction dose just prior to lunch. (Her doctor's orders on file clearly specify insulin is only to be received at lunchtime.) 

Spitfire's mom showed up shortly before lunch, and it turns out she was hoping to "show" me where in Spitfire's doctor's orders it stated that Spitfire could give her own insulin correction doses willy-nilly...which, of course, they don't. Spitfire was diagnosed with diabetes as a toddler, and is now in the fifth grade, and yet I found myself having to carefully explain to her mother why we would not want to give her insulin just before lunchtime, when I am supposed to then give her a dose immediately after lunch. Gaaaah. 

Lessons in this: 
A) I found Spitfire's mom's willingness to give her insulin at irregular intervals, i.e. whenever she felt like it, somewhat terrifying. I have been keeping careful records, and am having Spitfire's teacher do the same for classroom logs. I plan to send these in to her doctor's office and let them know what's going on at school. Even if I am unable to speak with them directly - because Spitfire's mother has now missed two of the meetings we set up with her, and therefore I don't have a release of information - I know I can at least fax in my logs and let them know my concerns. 

B) I found the secretaries' willingness to let Spitfire be given insulin at the wrong time not as surprising, but just as terrifying, particularly on the heels of this decision that came earlier this year: California Court Rules Unlicensed School Staff Can Give Insulin. This kind of situation is precisely why this decision is frightening to me. Secretaries, through no fault of their own, have other things to be concerned about besides insulin and just can't devote the time and energy needed to administer it safely (in my humble opinion). 

It's really a miracle to me that serious accidents don't happen more often in school. 

No comments:

Post a Comment