21.3.11

Impeccable timing

I tested a boy's vision at the request of his teacher and mother, and was returning the first grader to the computer lab where his class was working. Just as I walked in I heard, "Alexis threw up." The teacher and I look over to see the tiniest little boy trembling in a sea of puke. He'd spewed all over the computer,and there was vomit both down the front and back of his shirt and pants. I tried to keep him from crying as I took him back to my office while the teacher dealt with the ailing computer. As I was wiping him down, he told me he had eaten too much and I asked what had been for breakfast. There were bright pink and red flakes in the goo, which made it look like he'd eaten a whole bag of frosted animal crackers - and I know they don't serve that in the cafeteria. "No," he said, as he looked down at himself, "This is yesterday's food." It smelled so bad I excused myself to go exchange an audiometer hours earlier than I had originally arranged.

No comments:

Post a Comment