24.3.11

Caught in the act

I was reading I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb over lunch at my desk on Wednesday. My lunch was visibly over - tupperware clicked closed, lunch box zipped up - when a teacher walked in to get into the refrigerator that sits behind my desk. She commented on the sight: "Reading big books to fill your time?" Even though the book was closed, in a time of pink slips being slipped to many (including a false notice for myself), I was so embarrassed I could hardly speak. To answer her question, honestly, I'd have said: sometimes. Sometimes I just don't feel like doing outreach for parents who yell at me when I call them, and sometimes I just don't feel like double documenting everything because it's a waste of time. Sometimes I wait for the action to come to me, rather than seek it out. Instead, I told her it was a book I started over lunch (true) and we laughed about the lack of ice - thankfully, this was the teacher that had gone out of her way to thank me earlier in the week, and I know she knows I do work.

And really, I do work. That's how it came to be that I was on the phone for work related reasons last night at 11 pm - I'm usually asleep by then - and how it is that I'm about to write my first CPS report as I tune into March Madness at home.

It's been quite a week, and I hope to be coherent enough to write a recap tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment