15.4.11

Now I get it...

Months ago, I had a student in my office moments before the bell was going to ring signaling the end of the day, crying hysterically to me that she wanted to go home sick. Confused because the day was already practically over - she clearly wasn't trying to escape schoolwork - I asked what else was wrong. Between sobs she explained that she really didn't want to go to Kid's Corner (the after school day care program held at school), because "they yell." I rolled my eyes, and shooed her back to class - it's just day care, right? 

Wrong. I went there yesterday to speak at their Career Month. Those ladies running the program were awful, shouting commands at them right and left. I was afraid to step in the wrong place myself, and I was the guest speaker. I pretty much sprinted out of there after my talk, relieved to not feel like every breath was under scrutiny. Now that I've experienced it myself, I don't blame those kids for hating that place.

At least it was worth it: a student came in today for a cut, and told me she liked my talk yesterday. Yay for kids, happy Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment