7.6.11

Shoe Girl Saga, continued

Last night my cell phone rang at dinner time: it was the CPS worker following my Shoe Girl case. She wanted to ask if I've seen Shoe Girl (i.e. has mom beaten her too much to attend school?), and if I've had any contact with the mom. I said no, but that she had an appointment with the assistant principal to complain about "someone trying to get her daughter taken away" last week. The CPS social worker let me in on the fact that mom is claiming an appointment in July to get the girl new shoes - but that's in the summer, when no one can be sure that she'll have gone. She's also being uncooperative and refusing to sign a release of information for us to confirm this appointment with the hospital. Unexpectedly, the social worker gave me an earful about how difficult and frustrating this mom is; I couldn't agree more. (I suppose even social workers need to vent eventually.) The social worker warned me she is expecting this case to go to court, whatever that means, and for me to keep an eye on Shoe Girl's well-being. Mom is furious CPS is involved now with the shoes and it wouldn't be unexpected for her to take the frustration out on Shoe Girl.

<Sigh.> At least there's others involved now. I figure it's a good sign if the social worker is calling me after hours to talk about it; it's clearly weighing on her mind just as much as it does for everyone who meets this little girl. :(

As a way aside, it's quite flattering (I hope) to have the principal come ask if you're going to keep their site next year. My answer, because I'm at the happy and orderly elementary: "I've already asked to be here." :)

No comments:

Post a Comment