19.3.12

Oh, the kids

I had the radio on in my office tuned to the local mix station. My diabetic came in and blurted out, "This is the Black-Eyed Peas! I didn't know nurses could listen to the Black-Eyed Peas!" I thought back to my own days in school, where I couldn't comprehend that any school staff might have a life outside of work; seeing a teacher in the grocery store was both horrifying and totally bewildering to see they ate food like normal people. Yes girl, I do have a life outside of work.
She also told me her grandma visited "where God was born." She mumbled something more specific that sounded like Jerusalem, and I asked if she meant that. It quickly turned into a 3 Stooges comedy routine:
Me: Jerusalem?
Her: Yeah, Jershulam.
Me: No, Jerusalem.
Her: Yeah, Jeshularm.
Me: No, Jerusalem!
Her: Jeshulam, that's what I said!

I swear, one of these days I'm going to pack her in my car and take her home. She's hilarious, and I'm pretty sure her mom wouldn't notice.

And a hyperactive kindergartener came in for a scraped knee and then remembered that I had offered her a tangerine weeks ago. At the time, I was eating the only one I brought for the day, so I told her next time I saw her she could have one. Thankfully, I've since learned to pack several tangerines in my bag, so I didn't disappoint today. It's amazing what a tangerine can do for a kid. For this little one, it occupied her for a few minutes, meaning a few minutes where she wasn't using me as her climbing tree while waiting for her parents to pick her up. [Because despite the fact that kindergarten's release time is 11:30, some parents regularly don't get their kid until 12 or after, which is fun for the secretary and I who get to babysit while trying to do our regular job.]

Today's interesting news: Mysterious nodding disease debilitates children. Our planet has some crazy stuff that happens on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment