1.3.12

Back to the drawing board...

I'm sure you're all dying for an update on how my meeting went with my boss yesterday in regards to the lice policy. The good news is that he supports a change. The bad news is that there are other people not in support, including...drum roll...other nurses. My sixty minutes of fame I was looking forward to at this meeting, the first I had ever requested with my boss, and one of the few times I found myself willingly sitting in the district office, was tarnished by the presence of another nurse that sat in on it. She was in his office to discuss something else with him and apparently felt like sitting through my meeting with him, as well as giving her two cents, which is that our no-nit policy is "easy."  Now, in my humble opinion, or perhaps my youthful naivete, just because a policy is straightforward (no nits, no school) doesn't mean it's at all appropriate. The change will also take some time, as I expected, and realistically we can't expect it to happen in this school year - I'm hoping over the summer. In the meantime, it is my task to prepare a load of evidence advocating my position for a no-lice policy over a no-nit policy, and then write a policy that the other nurses are in agreement with. My boss supports it, but I have to convince the other nurses it is worth supporting, a task I was not at all expecting. Time to pull out my killer EBP research skills.

6 comments:

  1. I wonder if I'm the only person who reads these lice posts and immediately starts itching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you got the EBP skills to rock the report... but it might take some crucial conversations to get the nay-sayers to shift the focus toward a more realistic policy. I'm sure your up to the challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also research how sending kids with nits home affects your school district - for example, how much money is lost per day that each kid is out of school equals how much per year etc. (Because the schools lose money for absences, right? I am not sure.) And I guess that's assuming that those stats are kept track of/available.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have access to CINAHL? Pubmed? National guidelines clearinghouse with AHRQ? These Are some good places to start.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8/3/12 12:03

    Did you check your email - I emailed you the Masschusetts School Health policy, which basically says students do not need to be excluded from school for lice, and there's no benefit to a no-nits policy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really bad why they are against for this change?

    ReplyDelete