15.8.12

Day 1

7:53 Missed call from Elementary School 1. Just left home, on the road, miss the call.
8:19 Almost to Middle School, pull over, and call Elementary School 1. Secretary answers, says they are swamped and will talk to me later. Never hear from them again the rest of the day.
8:22 Middle School chaos. Talk to parents and kids dropping off medicine, enter in shot records, reject shot records missing the Tdap shot.
9:19 Breakfast. Scarf down oatmeal while answering emails.
10:22 Introduce myself to an unfamiliar face saying hello at my office door. Become bug-eyed when I hear in response, "Oh, we've met before. I'm the superintendent." [Oops...]
11:55 Drive to Elementary School 2. Discover High Maintenance Diabetic Mom didn't send along any doctor's orders. Turns out she wanted me to call the doctor's orders and take care of that myself. Other diabetic, Spitfire, came with no orders either. Luckily I had stashed last year's away just in case. Hear about a parent that was "flipping out" and in tears all morning because her teacher didn't know how to care for her myasthenia gravis daughter. Discover a care plan for M.G. girl I'd requested from her previous school had just arrived in the mail, temporarily calming principal and secretary who had been victim to this parent's anger.
13:05 Back to Middle School. Work on Health Alert list and emergency care plans.
14:00 Lunch while answering emails.
15:15 Try to deliver care plan to teacher of student with a pacemaker, but door is locked. Teacher has no mailbox because they are a substitute; the school is still short three science teachers.
15:30 Call parent of one of the independent diabetics at the school who had left her one glucose meter in my office.
15:35 Leave, at last.

This all happened with a tonsil the size of a golf ball in my throat, and tomorrow I have a record three meetings scheduled in one day: one with myasthenia gravis parent at 7:30 a.m. sharp, a 10 am meeting to pull a severely asthmatic student out of P.E. permanently, and a 1 p.m. meeting with a teacher to discuss an epileptic student of hers. In between, I will try to finish care plans and get all emergency plans to teachers that I need to, as well as take care of my diabetics and all the phantom and real stomaches. It is pure chaos for everyone in the beginning of the year, nurses included, but overall, it is such a relief to have the kids back.

No comments:

Post a Comment