24.8.12

I will never understand.

The parent of a student with myasthenia gravis said some unkind words about me to the secretary on the first day of school. I attended a 7:30 a.m. meeting with her the next day to calm her fears and realized I was this mother was the quintessential helicopter parent. (She wanted to come to school with her fifth grade daughter for the first month just to make sure she was being properly watched. Note, this kiddo has no need for an aide or anyone like that. She can administer her own nebulizer if need be, and has a pretty clear hand signal in case of a respiratory crisis.)

Fast forward to the second week of the school. Myasthenia gravis mom was in the main office complaining about her daughter's $80 backpack being scuffed up, and mentioned casually that her daughter has Hand, Foot, and Mouth disease...and she'd been at school all week with it.

For the life of me, I cannot wrap my head around the thinking of some parents. I beg of all parents: do not send your child to school with an infectious disease.

4 comments:

  1. I'm surpised she wasn't blaming the scuffed up bookbag marks for being the carrier that tagged her daughter with hand, foot, mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had a few minutes to check some of my favorite nursing blogs and when I saw you were back to school I was disoriented for a few minutes--summer CANNOT be over! But obviously it is. Looking forward to reading about your year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous28/8/12 18:52

    Does that parent even understand that it's infectious let alone how easy it is for kids to get?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it looks like you are getting into the thick of it already. I know you are an awesome nurse and advocate for your kids. Thanks for all you do.

    ReplyDelete