31.8.12

So Dang Cute

Contrary to what it may seem like on this blog, I do have coworkers other than the principals and teachers at each of my school sites. There are other nurses in the district, as well as health clerks that manage student health records. I don't mention them much here in part because I rarely see them, but also because, frankly, most aren't worth mentioning. I'll spare everyone the details here, but I liken the group to a gaggle of middle school clique-y girls - except they're not. They're middle aged women that for whatever reason (and it's more than just an age thing), I don't fit in with. I've successfully stayed out of most of the drama among them for the past two years, but this year is different: I'm their target. There are emails going around, and the whispering being done behind my back isn't exactly inaudible. While it's a consolation that the nursing coordinator and my boss are both in total support of everything I do, and I know I'm getting my job done, it's hard not to have it wear on me just a wee bit that I'm so blatantly the odd one out. 

The reason I bring this up is that this mess has made me appreciate my time with the kids that much more. I performed hearing and vision screenings this week on the "Special Day Class" which are the autistic, CP, Down's Syndrome, and other similarly abled kindergarteners. Personally, I think the SDC classes should be renamed the So Dang Cute classes, because that's what they are. Those kids are without a doubt my favorite kids out of all 2000+ that I take care of, even though for about half of them I have to mark "Could Not Test" as their screening results. Those kids - like most 5 year olds - know what really matters in life: whose fly is unzipped, who farted, and when snack time is. 

Happy Labor Day! Don't drink and drive. 

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous31/8/12 18:14

    As the mom of a child on the autism spectrum and a pediatric nurse who takes care of medically complex patients (many with CP) I may be biased, but I wholeheartedly agree with you. The smile of one of these little guys, the honest free belly laugh that is so contagious. It makes all the catty crazy people disappear into the background.

    Kudos to you for having the opportunity to see what really matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was the nurse at a special needs camp this summer (you can read about it at www.nebraskafamilytimes.blogspot.com) and it changed my life. These kids were older but had diagnosis of autism, Down's Syndrome, etc., too. Talking to and working with them brought me so much joy! They want to share their love with everyone around them. I just can't describe it but more than 2 months later I still get tears in my eyes just thinking about it. God bless you in your work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Screw the middle-aged biddies! Stay awesome :)

    Seriously... they're acting unprofessionally. Just focus on the kids and be thankful you don't have to work side-by-side with them.

    ReplyDelete