26.4.13

Substitutes

As a general rule, I am not fond of substitutes. Teachers know their students, they know when someone is faking it, and when they're not. So it didn't take me long to figure out that there was a substitute with a classroom of children walking all over her as I received note after note all day long with students. . "[Name] doesn't feel well," in handwriting I could barely decipher. I continually sent the students back to class - it honestly felt like I'd seen all 32 of the students in that class, but was particularly surprised (read: annoyed) when a student was sent down to the office with a note just 10 minutes before school let out: "Savannah's eyes hurt. She wants to wait for her mother in the office." What? Ten minutes before she'll see her mom anyway you will send a student down to the office just to sit, just as she'd be doing in class? No thanks...I sent the student back, and requested the secretary not use that substitute again.

No comments:

Post a Comment